Engage Early, Build Trust, and Gain Student Retention and Success
Tuesday, April 30, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
What happens during the first week of class sets the tone for the entire term and can affect retention and student success. For students to work well together in classes, a degree of trust must exist between them, and building this trust quickly is key. Learn about the concept of swift trust, which comes from business but applies to education as well. In online classes especially, building trust is key not just to the student-to-student learning community but between students and the instructor. A course where trust is built within the first two weeks should see better learner engagement and better retention. We’ll talk about what swift trust is and methods of building it within any course (face-to-face and online).
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Define “swift trust” as it applies to education
- Identify practical ways to build swift trust early and sustain it throughout an online course
- Select and use specific swift trust activities appropriate for any course
Here's What We'll Cover
- Defining the importance of building swift trust early in classes to create the best possible learning community and environment
- Exploring and applying swift trust in any course you teach
- Reviewing supporting cases on swift trust and how it has actually benefited others
- Activities you can begin using right away to build and sustain swift trust
Who Should Attend
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Designers
- eLearning Specialists
- Distance Learning Coordinators
- Faculty Development Staff
- Student Retention Staff
Some additional benefits of using “Swift Trust” techniques:
- Learning about swift trust and how to cultivate it may lead to better retention
- It can take up to two weeks for students to feel comfortable in an online class—activities that build swift trust may decrease that time barrier
- Accomplishing swift trust between instructor and learner and amongst learners may lead to better engagement and interaction through the rest of the course in all activities, therefore leading to greater student success
- Should see more engaged learners who will reach out for help
- Better retention of students in their courses
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 04/30/19
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19LA