Increasing Inclusion and Interaction: Disabilities in the College Classroom
Thursday, November 7, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
Creating accommodating, all-inclusive environments for all students should be a top priority for any educator. Fortunately, faculty can implement small, straightforward pedagogical changes to increase the inclusion of students with disabilities that often improve interaction between all enrolled students, improve the classroom experience, and make teaching more efficient and effective. These changes are in addition to what is more typical: honoring accommodations requests such as letters from a disability services office detailing the needed accommodations (e.g., presence of ASL/English interpreter in the classroom, extended time on a test, large-print handouts, digital version of slides) and then keeping the course as planned with minimal additional adaptation from the faculty member or class participants.
This Magna Online Seminar will present additional, easy to implement strategies that improve inclusion and interaction of students with and without disabilities, as well as provide a framework for faculty to further develop their own strategies.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Differentiate how access and accommodation services are not sufficient for inclusion, or for interaction between students
- Distinguish exemplar challenges, in a range of typical college classrooms and settings
- Review pedagogical strategies to reduce challenges and increase interaction and inclusion for all students
- Devise assessment options to gauge effectiveness of said strategies
- Employ takeaways and apply this framework to your own courses
Here's What We'll Cover
- Access vs. inclusion of teaching spaces
- Pedagogical challenges of co-enrollment of students with and without disabilities and why accommodation letters from disability services offices are not enough
- Actionable, example strategies that lessen the challenges you face in the classroom
- Considerations for fulfilling assessment
- How to apply the provided strategies to your own course
Who Should Attend
This seminar will benefit:
- Faculty and instructors of all ranks and disciplines, including graduate students with teaching responsibilities
- Faculty developers
- Teaching and Learning Center professionals
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- On-demand access for 1-year
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Interested in getting this program and at least 24 additional programs for one low price?
The Magna Online Seminar Pass gives you annual access to all of Magna’s online seminars including the live broadcast and 12-month on-demand access thereafter. Covering the topics you want from the nation’s top academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars help you promote continued faculty and staff development.
The Magna Online Seminar Pass costs less than the price of 6 programs. So, it’s like buying 6 programs and getting at least 19 free! This affordable subscription membership gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Start your subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19XA