Time Management for Faculty and Students in Flipped Learning Environments
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 | 1:00 PM Central | 60 Minutes
“We live and we die by time. And we must not commit the sin of losing our track on time”—Chuck Nolan (Tom Hanks) from the movie “Cast Away”.
No doubt you’ve heard many times that using time effectively is one of the most sure-fire ways to ensure success. So how does this relate to implementing flipped classroom strategies? If you are new to the flipped classroom or have already started converting your class, you want to use your time most effectively for:
- Building a course
- Managing the course
- Helping students manage their time
Announcing an all-new Magna Online Seminar that will help you with time management before your course starts and as you teach. We’ll also give advice to help students worker smarter (not harder) when they shift learning new material to the pre-class space. Lastly, we’ll cover how to use time wisely during the class meeting in order to tap into the maximum benefits of active learning.
Upon completion of this seminar, you’ll be able to:
- Construct a long-term plan for building a flipped class
- Construct a sensible calendar for a flipped class that uses time through the semester to support independent learning
- Design effective, brief activities for the first and last 5 minutes of a flipped class meeting
- Use the flipped structure of a class to support maximized active learning during the face-to-face phase
- Draft reasonable expectations for students regarding their use of time in a flipped environment
- Address common misconceptions about time management and time requirements in a flipped environment
- Gain useful strategies for working with students to help them effectively manage time, tasks, and projects
Here's What We'll Cover
- Managing time when building a course:
- The One-Year Plan for designing a flipped environment
- Building time into the rhythm of a course
- The importance of structure and calendars
- Managing time during a flipped course:
- Designing the pre-class activities with time in mind
- The importance of activities for the first 5 minutes of class and the last 5 minutes of class
- Creating and managing time for effective in-class activities
- Helping students manage their time:
- Clarifying expectations about time
- How students in a flipped environment use time
- Myths and misconceptions about the time requirements for flipped environments
- How to incentivize students to be effective with time and planning
Who Should Attend
This seminar will benefit:
- Instructional Designers
- Academic Deans
- Department Chairs
- Faculty Development Staff
Your seminar registration includes the following:
- A single connection to the live seminar (one connection per purchased registration)
- On-demand access for 1-year after the seminar airs on 04/10/19
- Downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker
- Written transcript
- Supplemental materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
For the live seminar, you can have as many people participate in the program as you like using the single connection by using a large screen, projector, and speakers.
There is no limit to how many times the seminar is accessed while available. Additional connections for other locations or branch campuses can be purchased for $100 per additional connection. Contact Magna Customer Service at 800-433-0499 to add additional connections for the rebroadcasted seminar.
MAGNA ONLINE SEMINAR PASS
Access 12 Months of Online Seminars
With the purchase of the Magna Online Seminar Pass, you will gain access to all the live seminars within a 12-month period. Covering a variety of relevant topics from academic thought leaders, Magna Online Seminars are incomparable in the way they promote continued staff and faculty development. And now, with a Magna Online Seminar Pass, you can get more of these seminars for less!
The Magna Online Seminar Pass is a sensible and affordable subscription membership that gives you access to every live Magna Online Seminar produced over the course of a 12-month period (minimum of 25 seminars). Purchase a subscription today!
CAMPUS ACCESS LICENSE
With the purchase of the optional Campus Access License (or Group License when ordering online), registrants may take the contents of the program CD & place the information on to a password-protected network, server, or web site for additional staff use. The Group License option is not for multiple or unlimited staff from an institution to connect & participate in the live online seminar presentation.
Product Code: PC19HA